I’ve had a lot of really harsh comments about my weight over the years. I’ve had people shout out to me that I’m fat just while I’m walking down the street, I was bullied at school for being overweight and I’ve been asked if I’m pregnant… three times (three worst experiences of my life, I reckon). Thankfully, this hasn’t happened in a while but there are still people out there who say things, most of the time meaning well, that are really, really offensive.
Some of these are from my own experience and others are ones that seem to keep cropping up on the ‘What skinny people say’ thread on a weight loss forum I frequent.
These jeans are a size 18, I’m not a size 18. Ew
- I don’t bother to point out that I was a size 18 for a long time.
You just need to eat less and move more
- Yes, probably but I think it’s a bit more complicated than that. (I will in future refer people to the very detailed information my nutritionist gave me on why it’s not as simple as this.)
You should do Atkins
- I’d love to except it’s difficult to maintain, bad for your cholesterol and I LOVE potatoes
I’m so fat, I really need to lose weight
- Said by someone thinner and fitter than me in my presence. If you need to lose weight then I must be disgusting.
Do you really need to lose three more stone?
- Yes. 10 stone is not a dangerously low weight, you know.
*Insert comment about larger people*, no offence Jess.
- This one still happens. I really think he means no offence, but still.
Oh you have such a beautiful face
- Pity about the rest of me, right?
Don’t lose your curves
- This warrants a whole other blog post of rage
All your health issues are down to your weight
- Said by a medical professional
The term ‘real women’ when used to refer to people who are curvy/normal/overweight annoys me for a number of reasons too. (But, again, that’s another blog post).
Disclaimer – This is, in part, a joke. I think people can be offensive without meaning to be. I also think there are some genuinely cruel people out there. However, I also think that people (me included) are far too sensitive and should just take stuff like this on the chin and move on. Maybe even use it as motivation.